Operation Grange: Madeleine McCann – A Potential Murder Enquiry

I recently learned from a trusted police source that the Metropolitan Police had officially taken up the Madeleine McCann investigation in London. This new line of enquiry is called Operation Grange.

Today I phoned the Metropolitan Police to ask about their taking over from Leicestershire Constabulary and had this interesting telephone conversation.

SM: Hello, I’d like to speak to someone in connection with Operation Grange please.

Police: I’m not aware of that Operation…just give me one second.

A minute later the operator returned and gave me another phone number to call.

SM: Hello, I’m just calling to ask a few questions about Operation Grange.

Police: What’s the name of that operation again?

SM: Operation Grange.

Police: Ok, what was that?

SM: It’s the Madeleine McCann disappearance.

Police: Oh, alright ok, fine, yeah, we don’t usually use operation names here, what do you need to know?

SM: There doesn’t seem to be anything in the public domain so when did the operation start and what’s the scope of the operation? I just wondered if you can give me some background on Operation Grange.

Police: We haven’t very much talked to the media about the case at all. What we’ve said is we’re providing expertise to the investigators of the case. The Portuguese Authorities, the Portuguese Police retain lead. We’ve not made any suggestion that they’re not capable of investigating but we are assisting them and we have not given any details on it. It’s unusual for us to do that as it’s abroad and another police force is taking the lead on it.

SM: Is there any reason why the Met took over from Leicestershire Constabulary?

Police: I’m not sure we said anything about it at the time – for various reasons. We can’t be seen to criticize any other force. On the 12th of May the Home Office requested that the Metropolitan Police service bring their expertise to the case and on that evening we said that we would.

SM: And is this a full time operation and what size team is working on it?

Police: As I said we wouldn’t provide a running commentary but at the very beginning we said there were 30 officers who would be deployed, er, not continually but various tasks along with workload they have on other cases, er, but we have deployed 30 officers.

SM: In a normal case in Britain it’s not unusual for the police to give an ongoing commentary as to how it’s progressing so what…

Police: …I’ve only worked here 11 years but I would say it’s not common. We give information whilst it’s appropriate to produce but whilst there’s an investigation going on and where it’s potentially murder, we say very little, we say very little. You read a lot in the press but that doesn’t come from us. We deal with about 250 murders a year and all of them are dealt with in exactly the same way in terms of how we deal with the media.

I also discussed the fact that all FOI requests made to Leicestershire Constabulary under Operation Task were coming back with a blanket “no comment” and a wall of silence. The police officer I spoke to at the Met told me to put in FOI requests to them and do not assume that they would treat them the same [as Leicestershire Constabulary].

For anyone wishing to put in new FOI requests under Operation Grange, email them at: SCDFOIArequests@met.pnn.police.uk

I have to say that it was reasonably reassuring to hear that the Metropolitan Police are treating the case as “potential murder” instead of the McCanns’ nonsensical talk of abduction.

It is probably premature to expect miracles but for the first time in a British Police force we can just about hear the cops singing in tune with Goncalo Amaral.

Posted in News
23 Comments » for Operation Grange: Madeleine McCann – A Potential Murder Enquiry
  1. Anna says:

I hope that you realise that there is NO investigation whatsoever taking place in Portugal – the case has not been reopened by the Public Ministry, and unless that happens, no Portuguese police force can investigate Madeleine’s disappearance. The Public Ministry has to order the reopening of the case, and then it orders the Judiciary Police to restart the investigation. This, I think, is important to keep in mind. Thank you.

Site Admin: How do you know for certain that the PJ are not actively investigating the case behind the scenes?

2. Grace Johnson says:

I hope & pray Madeleine & Goncalo Amaral get the ustice they so rightly deserve,and a big thankyou to you for bringing us this.

3. Grace Johnson says:

Is there any news on this investigation,it seems to me the McCanns are so cocksure they won’t be arrested in the near future for anything at all.I don’t think There will ever be justice for Madeleine or Goncalo Amaral,because the British media won’t print anything that diverts from their fairytale abduction scenario.Poor little child.

4. missy says:

Four years on, post Madeleine the book hype, the silence of the McCanns during the summer months, well after all they are private people, with private lives. Even keen followers of the case, probably are getting to the stage where they continue to wonder, but cease to care. With my lasting thoughts,

‘Within the bounds of responsible parenting’ three children under four, were left in an unlocked apartment for four nights; speculate all you might how frequently they were checked, but they couldn’t be HEARD and they couldn’t be seen, except of course for Mrs Fenn who heard a child cry for over an hour

The we have the disappearance, whilst the parents were in the Tapas. But according to Mrs Tanner’s statements, she saw the abduction, whilst standing in the same road and Mr McCann whilst he was chatting outside the apartment with a friend. The abductor, therefore could not have entered by the unlocked door, since Mr McCann was effectively guarding it. There was no sign of break in, although the McCanns claimed windows & shutters, were open, though not seen by another (Oldfield) who checked the children, after Mr McCann.

Therefore, applying logic the abductor was already in the apartment during Mr McCanns check, abducted Madeleine, missed by Oldfield, then the abductor came back to open the windows and shutters.

SIMPLES

Good luck to the MET … I hope they have the opportunity to reading my very simple explanation !

5. John says:

It will be very interesting to see how this case develops. The McCanns tried to discredit the findings of the sniffer dogs Eddie and Keela by citing the case of Eugene Zapata, an American man accused of the murder of his estranged wife, who disappeared in 1976 and no body was found. However, Mr Zapata later gave a guilty plea and was convicted of her murder. More details below:

Hopefully, the truth will soon be known.

6. Marleen says:

I love the word “murder”in this context. It was already hightime.
    The Met are not telling any details of the revision and they are right.They are avoiding an eventual pressure of the Murdoch concern, if they regret Brooks’pressure on Cameron.Although I believe the Sun is now in favor of justice for Madeleine.The issue can not bring any extra money anymore to the papers, specially after Kate gave all of herself in her book(except for the truth).
    After being protect by Rebekah Brooks during four years, she betrayed the McCanns, by demanding the involvement of the Met in the case.Because that was a betrayal and she is mean.Rebekah knew the whole issue had become empty, after four years, and after Kate’s book.
    And the McCanns did not expect at all that Home Office would be prepared to help and that the Portuguese police would accept it.
    Citing Amaral: “A shot in the foot”.
    I’m convinced that the perpetrator(s) will be brought to justice.
    A new chance for the Sun for new articles. Next time telling the truth. Tapas 7 will be in worse trouble for perjury and for helping hiding a crime and a corpse. And there will be justice for Madeleine.

7. Stella Matutina says:

Have you seen the blog goodqualitywristbands.blogspot.com?
    Schocking, very shocking.I did not expect that.

And I think of Jim Gamble’s words on Panorama Australia Last Hope.
    He talks about people who concentrate themselves on somebody while the real perpetrator remains at large, for years and years.
    Why did he say that?
    Did he mean Kate and if he did, who is Maddie’s perpetrator? There are still 8 Tapas left.

8. Claire says:

I hope the next interview to Redwood will not be followed by an age progression photo of a 10 years old Madeleine.

9. marleen says:

Twice I’ve read on different publications that the Met were about to interrogate Matthew Oldfield and Jane Tanner. I hope that at least Matthew will tell the truth. The more they lie, the worst for them. And this is costing a terrible lot of money to the British tax payers. Why such an expense, if they have the answer? Are they still obstructing the police work?
    They can ask to forgiveness and tell what happened.

10. anonymous says:

How long is this still going to take?
    Last April I understood that a report would be known “late in the year”.
    What is late in the year? September, October, November?
    Who could explain it to me?

11. anonymous says:

Yesterday I found a Spanish video, Inform Especial-Madeleine McCann, an interview from the time the couple were not yet made arguidos (or were they?), where Kate says “Sometimes I wish we would explode, and finish, and we would be all together again” (glub!). She said it in other words but it was the idea. Wanting the family to explode, whilst they believed Maddie was still alive.Poor Maddie being found alive and well and her parents and siblings gone!!!!
    What I want to say is that a journalist tells there that there were rumours that Maddie was a sleepwalker.I remember those rumours. Now I associate them to an article where the reporter writes that the police believed that Maddie died of a fall of the stairs, breaking the back part of her head.
    (see The Maddie Case Files).
    Now I believe those rumours of sleepwalker came from the McCanns themselves, in case the PJ would find her body:
    “It was an accident. She was a sleepwalker.”

12. anonymous says:

CORRECTION

The Mccanns were already arguidos when the Spanish interview happened.

13. anonymous says:

CORRECTION CORRECTION

The interview was done one week before they were made arguidos. (The dogs had been already in the resort)The sound of the video is not good and my Spanish is worse.

14. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz says:

How come the police know she fell down the stairs and broke the back part of her head? They must have got an anonymous letter otherwise they would not have known it. There are more people who know details of May the 3rd, relatives, friends of Tapas 7’s, in my opinion. It is impossible to keep such a case secret. Besides, a secret is a secret when you keep it for yourself. When you share it with somebody, it is not a secret anymore. There were at least 9 people sharing the same. It has never been a secret.

15. Virginia says:

For goodness sake, which person would be so kind to phone the Yard again, asking for news?
    There must be news, after four monthes. Well, perhaps there is the risk of jeopardizing the whole story. The public are living in tension (Kate and Gerry too), but at least they both are lucky enough to know what really happened and we still don’t.
    Their tension comes from their horror for the truth coming out.
    They could better listen to Jim Gamble who said short ago that the perpetrator had to come forward. And I also wonder why the police want to quizz M. Oldfield very soon. Maybe he was talking too much and somebody told the police. I hate waiting.

16. anonymous says:

I wonder if News of the World hacked the McCanns’ phones and I hope they did. Because it would help a lot now, that the Met got involved in the case.
    It took much too long to involve a good British police force in Maddie’s story. Myself I don’t trust the Leicestershire police because they hid the Gaspars’ statements for a long time.
    And God knows how many other statements they hid.

17. anonymous says:

I saw a shot on the video Informe Especial, a question “why did you hire the car one day before you went to the Pope?”and I don’t remember having seeing that on the Maddy Case Files. We never say the questions, only the answers. How come that TV station got to see the questions? By the way, it is not Spanish but it is TV International from Chile.

18. anonymous says:

There is a great possibility that several people wrote the Met telling what they suspect or even know.
    I hope a part of the Tapas have got lovers somewhere to whom they told about the case.
    And that they broke up with the lovers who felt offended and who went to the police.
    Relationships change, thank heavens, let us wait and see.

19. anonymous says:

It is really taking long to hear more about this case. When finally will we see Andy Redwood back with news?
    Twice, on different publications, I read the Met were planning to interrogate Matthew Oldfield and Jane Tanner.Maybe this is the key of the first lies, Oldfield never went checking on the children and Jane must confess she never saw the abductor.
    From that point, the police can continue, that is what I believe.
    Then we get O’Brian whose daughter’s sheet was not changed. Where was he that night? I think he was digging a grave. The more they get confronted with their lies, the closest the police get to the parents. Because the police know the truth but they need a confession. There is no political lobby around the couple anymore, there is no need to fear anything. They can offer the truth, exchanging it for not being processed for perjury and for obstructing the police work. Very serious crimes.

20. anonymous says:

Kate and Gerry are not formal suspects anylonger and I am longing for the moment the Met are going to interrogate them as witnesses. A witness can not refuse to go to the police station and to respond all of the questions. They are obliged to do it. And I wonder if there is the possibility of interrogating them at the Portuguese Embassy, that is Portuguese soil, interrogation made by the PJ. Perhaps it is better to bring them and Tapas 7 to Portugal because it would be difficult to remove them from the Embassy directly to Algarve. It could become a case of extradition at the moment they would leave the Portuguese Embassy, in London.
    The best is to kindly invite them to Praia da Luz and, with the support of the Met and of other British authorities, they would not have any other choice.
    As witnesses the whole Tapas are obliged to go because it is a murder case.
    But I have the feeling that the truth will come out before the reconstruction takes place.
    Somehow I believe the Met know how to pressure Tapas 7, even how to pressure Kate and Gerry, they will succumb under it. A police know how to quizz.
    Tapas 7 will rather come forward with the truth now, in England, than to be arrested in Algarve as accomplices to a murder.
    If they do the right thing (it is never too late), they will be witnesses in the process, not accomplices.

21. Mick McNulty says:

Like many people I believe the disappearance of Madeleine McCann concerns the disappearance of her body, not the living child. While it is another great mystery that our political and media establishments should be so sympathetic to the McCanns when just about anybody else would have been reviled, I have a strong suspicion that had Maddie died in similar circumstances in Britain where an abduction could have been suggested, some poor innocent loner would have been set up as the patsy and convicted…especially with our debased media and that deceitful New Labour regime. It wouldn’t have satisfied everybody of course, but it would have given those involved a door to hide behind when the questions got too hot.
    Why the McCanns had such powerful support is a mystery, and though I don’t believe some of the accusations aimed at Gerry, this does seem to go beyond Freemasonry, and he was just a doctor as are thousands of others. I think he’s a Scot, and though I don’t know where he studied or first practised medicine, maybe he saw something that gave him leverage. Lots of unsavoury things are known to occur there. Maybe in his case it really was what he knew and not who?
    Having such connections here does not mean that the case won’t be cracked open elsewhere in the world where our Establishment cannot exercise any power to silence.

22. anonimouse says:

For what it’s worth I’m interested in Kate’s recent comments about (words to the effect) ‘stones to be turned’ and ‘many stones to turn’ which I interpret as reference (inadvertant or otherwise) to Madelaine’s place of burial which will (in my opinion) without doubt be in consecrated ground.

1 Pings/Trackbacks for "Operation Grange: Madeleine McCann – A Potential Murder Enquiry"
  1. […] Constabulary and had an interesting telephone conversation, details of which can be viewed at Faked Abduction and Truth for […]